This page may contain affiliate links. Simply put, if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you).please see my Disclosure Policy for full details.
Alright, you have your domain and hosting set up. Now what? The next thing you want to do is get your site connected to Google. After all, Google is the captain of the online space. In this post, I will share how you can set up Google Analytics & Search Console to your health coaching website.
A few other things that you need to do once you have your WordPress site include:
- Choosing your theme (paid or free).
- Install Yoast (I will show you Yoast below) and the other plugins that you will help your site run properly.
- Learn about SEO and how to get recognized by Google.
- After that, make sure that you know some of the key terms.
- Write your first post.
- Get your main pages set up.
Before you do those, however, take a few minutes and set up Google Analytics & Search Console to your health coaching website. Let me explain in detail here so that you can fully understand.
What is Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a free resource that gathers information on your website. This information shows you how your site is working for you. For instance, Where people finding your website. Analytics can show if you are gaining more traffic from one platform over another. It can gather from anywhere you have your website located such as Facebook or Pinterest ect.
What is the Difference Between Google Analytics and Google Search Console?
Both analytics and console are free tools. Google Analytics shows you data on the people that are using your site. Google Console shows you data on how Google is using and seeing your site so that you can optimize it to get the best results.
What Does Google Analytics Show Me?
Once people visit your site, the code will activate the tracking process that will then provide you with the data you can use to optimize your site.
RELATED POST: How to Make Money as A Health Coach
Once you have this data, you can decide what you need to do to make your website perform even better.
Google Analytics shows you:
- How many people are on your site in real-time.
- How people, known as “traffic” get to your site.
- What devices people are using to connect with your website.
- Where the people that are using your site are located.
- Which social platform is driving the most traffic to your site.
- You can see where the user started and which page they went to next.
- See your most popular pages.
- Determines how fast your site is loading.
- What the bounce rate is.
- Integrate with Ads accounts.
That is a few of the things that you will see shown to you once you connect your website to Google.
What Does Google Console Show Me?
Google Console tells you how Google is seeing and using your website. It can help you monitor your site and make needed changes.
You can still be found on Google Search even if you have not connected to Console, however, the search console is the best tool to show you how your site is doing and how you can make your site better. Plus, it is free!
Search Console shows you:
- Google can see your site.
- Shows indexing issues.
- Shows that Google is crawling your site.
- You can see what people are typing in to see your site.
- Google will let you know if something if off on your site.
- You can see what other sites are linking to your site.
Those are some of the neat features that you can see once you are all set up!
RELATED POST: How to Make Your Website Legal
How Do I Connect Google Analytics to My Health Coaching Website?
Let’s get you set up!
You will need a plugin IF your theme does not have a header section. Some themes come with this but not all.
If you have the header section, great! Simply copy and paste the code that you are provided from Google Analytics there. I will show you how to do that.
If you do not, I will show you the plugin that I use and have had no issues with.
RELATED POST: 3 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business
How Do I Set Up My Google Analytics Account?
Set up your Google Analytics Google Analytics account.
You will be asked several questions and once you have answered all of them, you will have an account set and ready to use. When you are asked for your e-mail address, be sure to connect your g-mail account that you plan to use as your primary e-mail. This will keep things organized and seamless for you.
You will then be prompted to log in to your account. Once you log in you will see the main menu on the left-hand side of the page.
The first thing that you need to do is add your site. In Google Analytics it is known as adding your “property”.
Click on ADMIN at the very bottom of the main menu on the left-hand side.
The next screen will show 3 columns. If you do not see your website already under Property in the 2nd column, then click on the + Create Property button.
You will see on the next screen, 3 options. Select the first option, WEB.
Next, simply type in your information. Do make sure that you change http:// to https://
To add the plugin, go to your main menu bar on the left side of your WordPress Site. Click on Plugins.
Click on the blue Add New button.
Type in Insert Headers and Footers into the search bar on the right side.
Click on the Insert Header and Footer plugin and then click on ACTIVATE on then next screen that shows after that.
In case you closed Google Analytics, I will show you where you can find your tracking code for when you need to find it.
- Log back into Google Analytics
- On the left sidebar click on Admin at the bottom.
- In the 2nd column, Property, scroll down until you see Tracking Info
- Click on Tracking Info
- Click on Tracking Code
- Highlight the entire code and copy.
If you are using a Chromebook, you can copy using ctrl and C.
Once you have the code copied, head back over to your WordPress site.
- On the left sidebar scroll down to Settings.
- You will now see the Insert Header and Footer plugin.
- Once that is done, the next screen will show you a header and a footer box. Paste the entire code into the header box.
- Click SAVE
If using a Chromebook, you can use ctrl and V to paste.
How Do I Set Up Google Search Console?
This is another fairly simple series of steps.
- You will be asked to add a property.
- Enter your Domain on the provider line and select continue. Note, that you are asked for just your sitename.com
- Next, you are asked to add the provider snippet code to your DNS.
- Your DNS is found where you bought your domain name. For me that is Namecheap. However, because I have my domain and hosting in separate spots that means that I redirected my DNS to Siteground (my hosting site). So, instead of adding to your domain (which I did try and do when I first set everything up) you head over to your host, which is Siteground or Bluehost for example).
- Open a new tab and log in to Siteground. You want to leave the current screen open because once you paste your code, you need to come back and click verify. That will allow everything to connect!
- Click on Website.
- Select DOMAIN on the left sidebar.
- Pick TXT option.
- Paste your snippet code in the box as seen below.
- Leave the name empty since that will be your root.
- Click CREATE!
Remember, you left your Search Console tab open. Head back and CLICK VERIFY. That is it, everything will now be connected!
How Do I Add A Sitemap?
A Sitemap is like a roadmap to your site. It ensures that Google can find the pages that you want to be found. Yoast has a great resource that explains more about Sitemap.
Yoast is easy to add to your site and only takes a moment. There are many benefits of having Yoast and you want it for SEO so let’s do that if you haven’t already done it.
The first few steps are the exact same as how the Insert Header and Footer plugin was added.
- Head to the left sidebar of your WordPress site.
- Click on Plugins.
- After that, click Add New.
- Enter Yoast in the Keyword Search bar on the right.
- Click Install Now and then Activate.
That is it for that part. You now have Yoast on your website!
Now, you need to set it up but Yoast makes that really easy. Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on SEO in the left sidebar.
From there, click on General. In the picture below you will see that mine is already configured, however, yours will have a blue Configure Wizard option that you want to click on.
Yoast will then walk you through some questions to help get everything set up for you.
Next, you need to add your sitemap to your Google Search Console. Your Sitemap is easy to find.
- In your WordPress dashboard, click on SEO (that is Yoast).
- Select the Feature tab.
- Scroll down until you see XML Sitemaps.
- Click on the ? in the small circle.
- Select SEE XML SITEMAP that appears in blue.
- Copy the 1st URL that you see. (the entire URL)
How to Validate Sitemap?
You need to Validate your Sitemap so that you know for sure it is properly set up and configured. Luckily, there is a free tool that you can use for that! XML SItemaps.com
Paste your Sitemap in the Your Sitemap URL section and click VALIDATE SITEMAP.
You should now see a lovely GREEN bar that indicates that your is valid and that no issues were found.
Now, that you know your Sitemap is valid, you can go ahead and add it to Google Search Console that you set up!
How to Add My Sitemap In Google Search Console?
Again, this is only a few simple steps that you follow and you will be all done!
- In Google Search Console, log in.
- Scroll to Sitemaps in the left-hand sidebar.
- After that, Paste your Sitemap on the indicated line and click submit.
- You should see a screen letting you know it was submitted successfully.
How to set up Google Analytics and Google Search Console to your health coaching website includes a few steps:
- Create accounts
- Add Yoast Plugin
- Locate and add Sitemap to Google
- After that, Validate