Your domain name will be your Website/blog name, therefore the first thing that you need to do is choose what your Website name will be. Setting up your domain and hosting is not difficult and you can do it yourself in a few steps.
Domain name = Business name = URL
For example, mine looks like this:
tammyseedhealth = Tammy Seed Health = www.tammyseedhealth.com
Your business name matters for a few reasons:
- It is a representation of you!
- If you decide later on to sell your business and you use your name as your business name, it makes it more difficult.
- SEO ranking.
- Registration — Depending on where you are located, if you use your name, you do not have to register your business name.
- Do you want your name all over social media?
These are a few questions that you will want to answer when you are thinking about what you want your business name to be.
How to Choose A Website name?
You may have the perfect name in mind BUT it may not make any business sense.
It is easy to want to go with a cute name but remember that if the client cannot find you, it doesn’t matter how great your content is.
There are a few basics that you want to think about. If you put your location in your business name, then the potential client may think that you only serve that area and move on in their scroll. On the other hand, if you work locally, that could be beneficial.
Your business name is your URL
Tammy Seed Health = tammyseedhealth.com
- Don’t make it cute
- Not too long or too short
- Has to be easy to read as a url
- Don’t put 2 of the same letters together buildinggirl (the 2 g’s make it hard to read)
- Don’t put b and d beside each other buildbytammy (this one trips people up as well)
Which Domain and Hosting Site to Use?
I highly recommend that you keep the place you purchase your domain from and the place you get your hosting from, in 2 separate platforms. Some will say to keep them together for ease but most of the online world agrees that having everything in one spot can be a dangerous idea.
The online world comes with all sorts of bumps and glitches and things crash…
I use Namecheap for my domain and I am extremely happy with them. They have incredible customer services, are knowledgeable and fast to respond.
I will show you exactly how to get set up with them.
How To Set Up A Domain?
Head over to Namecheap
It looks like this:
Type the DOMAIN NAME (include .com) that you would like here:
If the name is taken, you will see this big X beside it. In the picture below, you can see how mine is taken (obviously, since you are on my site), however, they have listed several other options.
I suggest that you keep thinking and find a domain that ends in .com since that is the most common and recognized.
They will offer you options with .net/.healthcare/.inc Try various options that you feel suit you and fit your style until you find one available with .com
*** .com is the most recognizable and what you are looking for.
Unfortunately, people buy domain names all the time just to sell them to people who really want them. It really sucks when you are set on one name. Be willing to look at several options.
Check out this example. Mindovermatter.com is taken BUT you can purchase mindovermatter.net for $1,189.53. Yikes…
RELATED: If you would like more step by step instructions, I provide a guided video tutorial in my course, The Health Coach Creator.
Look… tammyisawesome.com is free! Once you find a name that you like and are happy with as a url go ahead and purchase it. You will have to renew this each year so make sure you account for that expense.
PRO TIP: There are a few expenses that need to be covered yearly and some you may choose monthly but you want to make sure that you know when they are coming due to track your finances.
Remember, you want to have your domain and hosting separately. It is a pain in that it is an extra step however, you only have to do it once and then if something happens on one platform you won’t be completely stuck. The chances of anything happening are slim, but things happen.
Once you select ADD TO CART beside the domain name that you would like, you will be offered various options that you can add on to your order. You do NOT need these. You will need to add an SSL, however once Siteground offers that addition for free.
How to Set Up Hosting
I recommend that you start with Siteground. Once you really start to grow you can think about moving your hosting over to a larger hosting option, such as Bluehost.
It is not difficult to do and worth starting with Siteground first. Siteground is cheaper and the customer service cannot be better!
RELATEDF POST: How to Make Your Website Legal
Following these steps to create an account with Siteground:
- Head to Siteground
- You will see their main Homescreen
- Scroll down until you see the 4 options.
- Click on WORDPRESS HOSTING
- You want the 1st option, STARTUP
- After that, select I ALREADY HAVE A DOMAIN
- Enter the domain name that you purchased at Namecheap
PRO TIP: If you have or plan on having more than one site, you can go ahead and click GROWBIG. I have a 2nd website tammybuilds.com so I upgraded to the GrowBig plan, however, they did not apply a discount for already having the StartUp plan.
I had to speak with a manager and they did honor it after but it is better to just go ahead with the GrowBig if you think that you will have 2 sites. If not keep it simple and go with the StartUp.
Enter your domain name as seen in the following image:
Now, click on PROCEED. Siteground will then ask for your personal details to create your account. Remember to select the 12-month package to get the best rate!
How to Connect Domain and Hosting
Domain = Namecheap: This is your site’s address or your URL
Host = Siteground: This is where the details of your site will be. It is like the foundation of your home.
Now you need to connect the two, it is called Pointing. It can seem overwhelming but it is so easy and I will show you exactly how to do this.
Remember, both platforms have incredible customer service and can help you at any point.
Inside Namecheap and Siteground, you will see something called Nameservers. Nameservers are where you can enter a URL and that site will then know that it is to point your URL to another area/site/platform automatically.
You can connect the 2 in a few simple steps:
- Log in to Siteground
- Select the WEBSITE option in the top bar
- Now, choose SITE TOOLS
- Scroll down the next page until you see 2 nameservers
- Copy the 2 nameservers
- You need to add these 2 nameservers to your Namecheap account
- Log in to your Namecheap account
- Select MANAGE beside the appropriate domain, in case you have 2
- Scroll down until you see NAMESERVERS
- In the menus bar, click CUSTOM DNS
- Add your 2 nameservers, 1 per line
- THAT’S IT!
Below you will see the SITE TOOLS option across from the domain name:
You will see 2 nameservers with IP addresses that look like this:
Copy those into your clipboard or you can come back and copy and paste them one at a time. You now need to add those 2 nameservers to your Namecheap account so that your domain points to your website.
Next, log in to your Namecheap account. Leave your Siteground open while you do this if you need to go back and copy the nameservers.
Select CUSTOM DNS in the scroll down menu, then add your 2 nameservers, 1 per line.
It can take up to 24 hours for the process to be complete now on their end. You can still go into your WordPress dashboard and work on your site but the domain will not point to the host for up to 24 hours. Until then, if you type your domain name into the search bar you will likely see, site not found.
You are ready to start your own business and it can feel overwhelming. You do not need to hire expensive help to get started right away. I was able to set everything up for my own business on my own and was extremely successful; you can be as well!
There are a few things that you need to get started and that includes choosing your domain and hosting. Those 2 small things can feel huge when you don’t know what you are doing though. That is why I did up this tutorial and I hope that you found it helpful!
I would love your feedback! Was this article helpful for you? What else would you like me to cover for you here?
Alright, you have your domain and hosting set up. Now what? The next thing you want to do is get your site connected to Google. After all, Google is the captain of the online space. In this post, I will share how you can set up Google Analytics & Search Console to your health coaching website.
A few other things that you need to do once you have your WordPress site include:
- Choosing your theme (paid or free).
- Install Yoast (I will show you Yoast below) and the other plugins that you will help your site run properly.
- Learn about SEO and how to get recognized by Google.
- After that, make sure that you know some of the key terms.
- Write your first post.
- Get your main pages set up.
Before you do those, however, take a few minutes and set up Google Analytics & Search Console to your health coaching website. Let me explain in detail here so that you can fully understand.
What is Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a free resource that gathers information on your website. This information shows you how your site is working for you. For instance, Where people finding your website. Analytics can show if you are gaining more traffic from one platform over another. It can gather from anywhere you have your website located such as Facebook or Pinterest ect.
What is the Difference Between Google Analytics and Google Search Console?
Both analytics and console are free tools. Google Analytics shows you data on the people that are using your site. Google Console shows you data on how Google is using and seeing your site so that you can optimize it to get the best results.
What Does Google Analytics Show Me?
Once people visit your site, the code will activate the tracking process that will then provide you with the data you can use to optimize your site.
RELATED POST: How to Make Money as A Health Coach
Once you have this data, you can decide what you need to do to make your website perform even better.
Google Analytics shows you:
- How many people are on your site in real-time.
- How people, known as “traffic” get to your site.
- What devices people are using to connect with your website.
- Where the people that are using your site are located.
- Which social platform is driving the most traffic to your site.
- You can see where the user started and which page they went to next.
- See your most popular pages.
- Determines how fast your site is loading.
- What the bounce rate is.
- Integrate with Ads accounts.
That is a few of the things that you will see shown to you once you connect your website to Google.
What Does Google Console Show Me?
Google Console tells you how Google is seeing and using your website. It can help you monitor your site and make needed changes.
You can still be found on Google Search even if you have not connected to Console, however, the search console is the best tool to show you how your site is doing and how you can make your site better. Plus, it is free!
Search Console shows you:
- Google can see your site.
- Shows indexing issues.
- Shows that Google is crawling your site.
- You can see what people are typing in to see your site.
- Google will let you know if something if off on your site.
- You can see what other sites are linking to your site.
Those are some of the neat features that you can see once you are all set up!
RELATED POST: How to Make Your Website Legal
How Do I Connect Google Analytics to My Health Coaching Website?
Let’s get you set up!
You will need a plugin IF your theme does not have a header section. Some themes come with this but not all.
If you have the header section, great! Simply copy and paste the code that you are provided from Google Analytics there. I will show you how to do that.
If you do not, I will show you the plugin that I use and have had no issues with.
RELATED POST: 3 Mistakes To Avoid When Starting An Online Business
How Do I Set Up My Google Analytics Account?
Set up your Google Analytics Google Analytics account.
You will be asked several questions and once you have answered all of them, you will have an account set and ready to use. When you are asked for your e-mail address, be sure to connect your g-mail account that you plan to use as your primary e-mail. This will keep things organized and seamless for you.
You will then be prompted to log in to your account. Once you log in you will see the main menu on the left-hand side of the page.
The first thing that you need to do is add your site. In Google Analytics it is known as adding your “property”.
Click on ADMIN at the very bottom of the main menu on the left-hand side.
The next screen will show 3 columns. If you do not see your website already under Property in the 2nd column, then click on the + Create Property button.
You will see on the next screen, 3 options. Select the first option, WEB.
Next, simply type in your information. Do make sure that you change http:// to https://
How Do I Add Footers & Headers to My WordPress Site?
To add the plugin, go to your main menu bar on the left side of your WordPress Site. Click on Plugins.
Click on the blue Add New button.
Type in Insert Headers and Footers into the search bar on the right side.
Click on the Insert Header and Footer plugin and then click on ACTIVATE on then next screen that shows after that.
In case you closed Google Analytics, I will show you where you can find your tracking code for when you need to find it.
- Log back into Google Analytics
- On the left sidebar click on Admin at the bottom.
- In the 2nd column, Property, scroll down until you see Tracking Info
- Click on Tracking Info
- Click on Tracking Code
- Highlight the entire code and copy.
If you are using a Chromebook, you can copy using ctrl and C.
Once you have the code copied, head back over to your WordPress site.
- On the left sidebar scroll down to Settings.
- You will now see the Insert Header and Footer plugin.
- Once that is done, the next screen will show you a header and a footer box. Paste the entire code into the header box.
- Click SAVE
If using a Chromebook, you can use ctrl and V to paste.
How Do I Set Up Google Search Console?
This is another fairly simple series of steps.
- You will be asked to add a property.
- Enter your Domain on the provider line and select continue. Note, that you are asked for just your sitename.com
- Next, you are asked to add the provider snippet code to your DNS.
- Your DNS is found where you bought your domain name. For me that is Namecheap. However, because I have my domain and hosting in separate spots that means that I redirected my DNS to Siteground (my hosting site). So, instead of adding to your domain (which I did try and do when I first set everything up) you head over to your host, which is Siteground or Bluehost for example).
- Open a new tab and log in to Siteground. You want to leave the current screen open because once you paste your code, you need to come back and click verify. That will allow everything to connect!
- Click on Website.
- Select DOMAIN on the left sidebar.
- Pick TXT option.
- Paste your snippet code in the box as seen below.
- Leave the name empty since that will be your root.
- Click CREATE!
Remember, you left your Search Console tab open. Head back and CLICK VERIFY. That is it, everything will now be connected!
How Do I Add A Sitemap?
A Sitemap is like a roadmap to your site. It ensures that Google can find the pages that you want to be found. Yoast has a great resource that explains more about Sitemap.
Yoast is easy to add to your site and only takes a moment. There are many benefits of having Yoast and you want it for SEO so let’s do that if you haven’t already done it.
The first few steps are the exact same as how the Insert Header and Footer plugin was added.
- Head to the left sidebar of your WordPress site.
- Click on Plugins.
- After that, click Add New.
- Enter Yoast in the Keyword Search bar on the right.
- Click Install Now and then Activate.
That is it for that part. You now have Yoast on your website!
Now, you need to set it up but Yoast makes that really easy. Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on SEO in the left sidebar.
From there, click on General. In the picture below you will see that mine is already configured, however, yours will have a blue Configure Wizard option that you want to click on.
Yoast will then walk you through some questions to help get everything set up for you.
Next, you need to add your sitemap to your Google Search Console. Your Sitemap is easy to find.
- In your WordPress dashboard, click on SEO (that is Yoast).
- Select the Feature tab.
- Scroll down until you see XML Sitemaps.
- Click on the ? in the small circle.
- Select SEE XML SITEMAP that appears in blue.
- Copy the 1st URL that you see. (the entire URL)
How to Validate Sitemap?
You need to Validate your Sitemap so that you know for sure it is properly set up and configured. Luckily, there is a free tool that you can use for that! XML SItemaps.com
Paste your Sitemap in the Your Sitemap URL section and click VALIDATE SITEMAP.
You should now see a lovely GREEN bar that indicates that your is valid and that no issues were found.
Now, that you know your Sitemap is valid, you can go ahead and add it to Google Search Console that you set up!
How to Add My Sitemap In Google Search Console?
Again, this is only a few simple steps that you follow and you will be all done!
- In Google Search Console, log in.
- Scroll to Sitemaps in the left-hand sidebar.
- After that, Paste your Sitemap on the indicated line and click submit.
- You should see a screen letting you know it was submitted successfully.
How to set up Google Analytics and Google Search Console to your health coaching website includes a few steps:
- Create accounts
- Add Yoast Plugin
- Locate and add Sitemap to Google
- After that, Validate